Sunday, July 4, 2010

Lady GaGa - Bad Romance



This is one of my favourite Lady GaGa videos as it was the first video I saw that made me want to know more about her as an artist and the concepts behind her videos and live performances. Directed by Francis Lawrence, it 's unlike any other music videos by current pop artists - from the costumes and fashion to the dance and imagery,  showing how intelligent and innovative her ideas are compared to a lot of pop videos from recent years.

The song itself is also unique and, to me completely destroys the stereotype that all pop music is soul-less and manufactured. Of the meanings of the song that have been suggested the one I carry forward comes from something Lady Gaga said herself - "What I'm really trying to say is I want the deepest, darkest, sickest parts of you that you are afraid to share with anyone because I love you That much."

The themes in the video and song are of love, evolution, fame and fear and together with the narrative and all the other elements, work together to produce an iconic, timeless video.

No comments:

Post a Comment